According to the NYS Department of Labor FAQs The key to mold control is moisture control. Practice the following housekeeping tips to reduce moisture and humidity in your house:
- Allow adequate air flow – open windows, use exhaust/vent fans when high humidity is present inside the house
- Reduce humidity inside the house – air-conditioning, dehumidifiers, use of heavy plastic to cover earth floors in crawl spaces
- Eliminate water problems – repair water leaks, get rid of standing water, insulate cold surfaces to prevent water condensation
- Slope the ground away from the house foundation, ensure air-condition drip pans and drain lines are dried, cleaned and drained properly
- Dry water-damaged items within 24 to 48 hours. If mold is already present, scrub the mold off the surface completely and dry thoroughly
Mold can begin to develop and grow on damp surfaces within 24 to 48 hours and reproduce through tiny airborne spores.
Follow these tips to prevent mold from occurring and if you think you might have a mold problem contact Mold Headquarters immediately – 631-631-6500.